Development on FileMaker was started in the mid-80s under the project name "Nutshell" by Leading Edge.
- FileMaker - initial release by Nashoba
- FileMaker Plus
- FileMaker II - released now by Claris
- FileMaker Pro 1.0 - released Oct. 1990, able to change the table layout while running.
- 2.1 - released 1993, first version available on the Windows platform.
- 3.0 - released 1996, first version that can relationally link tables together.
- 4.0 - released 1997, includes ODBC and very basic SQL
- 5.0 - released 1999, now by FileMaker Inc.
- 5.5 - released May 2001, first version to run natively on OS X.
- 6.0 - released Sep. 2002, supports import and export of XML data.
- 7.0 - released 2004, was a complete rewrite, supports files up to 8 Terabytes.
- 8.0 - released 2005, supports functions.
- 8.5 - released 2006
- 10.0 - released Jan. 2009, can import and export from Microsoft Excel 2003.
Storage and Objects
- Forms (for managing data)
- Reports (for printing data)
- Data Access Pages (Web Forms)
- Macros (Scripts)
- Modules (Program Code and Functions)
Everything is stored in a single File.
Object Naming: [...]
FileMaker Server allows up to 10 users to work simultanuously on the same database.
FileMaker does not support transactions (at least until version 10)